Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ah, the memories... XML documentation parse error: Whitespace is not allowed at this location. XML comment will be ignored.

Today I had a flashback to one of the very first VS05 IDE error message I ever got. Ah, the memories...

XML documentation parse error: Whitespace is not allowed at this location. XML comment will be ignored.

This design time errors occurs when you place an reserved character in your XML documentation within your source code. I commonly get this error when I use the '&' character so I just delete it and type the word 'and'. I imagine you can get this error if you use '<', '>' and a host of other characters. Those familiar with the escape characters in HTML will know to replace those characters with &amp;amp;lt; and > respectively.

I originally received this error when I was writing my very first comment so it really threw me for a loop now it is all in a day's work.

No comments: